Monday, August 2, 2010

Treasures Aren't Always Monetary


Growing up is weird.

Take away phone bills, insurance, house payments, and grocery shopping...I officially think my parents are cool, as well as well-springs of knowledge and wisdom, and a few years ago, I thought they were clueless.

I just spent two hours with my mom on the phone, exchanging stories, laughter, and wisdom. That lady is my best friend, and I'm proud to say it. I remember a period during middle school when I didn't want to kiss her good-bye. I remember thinking "No one else kisses their mom!"

What I wouldn't give for the opportunity to kiss my mom and dad every day now. I should have treasured those kisses, even if they were a little embarrassing at the time.

Josh and I are gearing up for a whole week with my mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law, cute and cuddly nephew, grandma, and grandpa, and I am ecstatic! I will have to soak in every single hug and kiss as I prepare my heart for another season of separation. I'm so blessed to have Josh's family close. My world would just be perfect if my family were close, too.

Another weird aspect of growing up, I suppose.

Being a teenager does odd things to emotions and neuron processing, but this I have always known: my parents are blessings, and I take them for granted.

A friend from OWU once told me that every hug is stored in the heart. How true those words can be when every hug is a treasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment