Thursday, August 19, 2010

On the Other Side of the Desk


My classroom is set up. The chairs are arranged. The whiteboard has a welcome. My diploma and tassel are displayed. Quotes and pictures have found their place on my walls. I even have a small plant from when I worked with Alternative Nursing Services that is now living on the window sill, awaiting the inevitable death my black thumb is sure to bring.

My very own classroom. Wow.

I find myself eagerly waiting for students to fill that empty room. I anticipate discussions and essays. I chuckle quietly to myself as I imagine detention slips I'm sure to assign, and sport a Cheshire grin thinking of students who will spend those detentions cleaning in my classroom (thanks for the brilliant idea, Sandy!).

I don't want to be anything other than a teacher. I am proud of my profession, and humbled by that ministry.

I posted a quick blip on Facebook today as I headed out for my first day on the job. In-service at the district office...how nerve-racking! And the feedback from some of my dearest friends encouraged me in a way I did not anticipate.

It's a little strange to sit behind that big teachers' desk instead of standing in front of it, but the view is awesome.

Thanks for sharing in this journey with me.

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe you finally have your dream job! You will be an amazing, influential teacher, and I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete