Sunday, July 25, 2010

Some like it Hot...But I Sure Don't

I am an adult, married woman, in the business of growing children into young adults, and I am agitated. And here's the deal...

Kids' camp starts tomorrow morning. While I am excited (maybe overly so!) about being with 8- to-12-year-old children for the next week, my to-do list is not getting any shorter before school starts, my masters is not getting any easier, and our house, cute as it may be, is not getting any cooler.

No joke---it is 11:00, in the P stinkin' M, and our house is 84 degrees.

And I am so cranky!

I have one of those 'isms' which makes it virtually impossible for my body temperature to regulate itself, which makes very hot and very cold temperatures an annoying centerpiece of my mind. My body is all-consumed with hatred for heat in this valley right now, and let me tell you, box fans just don't cut it.

See, I told you. Cranky, right?

Also, as I continue to upload assignments for the week for my masters, one certain classmate is driving me a bit nutty, and I've never even met the man.

Walt, a 40-something year old who has a bachelors in computer technology, has joined the Masters of Art in Teaching program, in hopes of earning alternative certification to teach math. The guy's only subbed for two months in his whole life, and he's convinced he knows everything about the world of teaching high school students.

Now honestly, I mostly have to laugh at Walt, because he is sexist and rather clueless when it comes to Differentiated Instruction and Classroom Management, which is usually SO funny to me. But tonight...oh, tonight...the heat has gone to my brain so much that I'm even blogging about Mr. I-know-everything-in-the-realm-of-teaching-and-you-don't Walt.

The guy has said that only male teachers can truly enforce classroom management. He's said that all female students flirt with male students, which, in turn, should penalize all female students in virtually all classrooms. He's even said the best way to discipline problematic students is to make them stand in front of the class while he continues to lecture.

This I can deal with.

But tonight I have very little tolerance for him, and really, he's just being Walt. He made yet another off-the-wall comment, but this time, on one of my posts. I usually try not to read Walt's posts, but tonight he took me unaware, and if I could see the guy face to face, I might be tempted to smack him.

Oh well, I suppose. I have my moments, too. And tomorrow I'll probably be laughing about this.

I'll be the first to say it...my mood fluctuates with the temperature. I'm woman enough to admit it. Just don't remind me of that when I'm too hot or too cold.

2 comments:

  1. well at least the air conditioning in ur car works(not true for me)Miss u! ((hug))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice thought...

    Neither of our car's air conditioners work! We're suffering with you on that one!

    ReplyDelete