Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Breakfast for a King

Breakfast together is not a normal occurrence in our household. Josh really isn't one to want cereal or fruit- he usually goes straight for burgers or Ramen, which takes place around noon. I'm really the one in our family of two who wants some sort of breakfast before heading to school.

Today, though, Josh woke up and got to work on breakfast.

A few weekends ago, a friend came over and spent the night because Josh was gone for Men's Retreat. She brought two packages of bacon with her for our one-night slumber party, and I'll just level with you: I do love bacon, but there are some things I have abandoned for the greater good. When you live with IBS, there are certain food groups you just learn to live without, and bacon, well- pork of almost any kind, is on my "NO" list.

The friend was slightly hurt, I think, that I only ate one strip, so she left the second package in our refrigerator since it was purchased for our slumber party.

If I'm being totally honest, I also hate cooking bacon. It makes your entire person smell of greasy swine all day long, leaves you with a pan full of grease you have to find creative ways of throwing out, and pops you with a vengeance every single time you fry it.

While it does make me feel like Mt. Saint Helen's erupting in my colon, it also just makes me mad. It stinks, leaves disgusting amounts of melted fat, and injures me. While it may taste yummy, the cons outweigh the pros.

So we just don't eat it often, which hurts my husband's heart, because he is a lover of bacon.

Because Josh was the one to make breakfast this morning, I let him have the kitchen to himself, and I took a few extra minutes sleeping in on this very rainy and gray morning. I had a feeling he'd find that package of bacon, and sure enough, our house began to smell and our bedroom began to get a bit smokey.

Josh was quite proud of himself, and I had to laugh a bit, because as he finished the last tasks of frying, he made the proclamation, "I love bacon...it's like meat candy!" If you know this guy at all, then you know he bleeds Starbursts and jelly beans, so comparing bacon to candy was the closet picture of heaven he could make.
But today's breakfast menu was bacon and pancakes- a mixture of two worlds.

As we sat down to eat, Josh made yet another proclamation. "I hate pancakes. You have to be a starving lumberjack to eat them."

Now this bacon candy lover of mine is putting together a chair for my classroom, singing to himself and making plans of putting Ivan in the chair box once he's finished his project.

Today is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment