Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What a Whirlwind

Finally- spring break! Call out the band and baton twirlers, we've made it!

Between Master's work and Union negotiations, new jobs and ordinations, Josh and I have been running the race of our lives. I'll try to recap what I've failed to blog...

As Josh continues to get in the groove of bus driving, I cannot help but laugh at his stories of students. A few weeks ago, one little girl was trying to finesse a toy from another little boy, so Josh intervened and asked the boy to put his toys away so he wouldn't lose them. This made the little girl angry. Josh said she looked him square in the eyes and said, "What are you? His uncle or somethin'?" To which Josh responded, "No- I'm the bus driver."

Josh and I went to the first track meet of the season, and I must admit, it was strange to be cheering for red and black and not Josh's youngest brothers' black and gold. At this meet, though, I had my first interaction with one of Josh's bus riders.

A very awkward 13 or 14-year-old girl made her claim to fame.

Josh was buying two hamburgers, and I was watching a race, so to a stranger, it probably didn't register that we were together. Out of the nowhere, I hear this teen say, "HEY!" Thinking nothing of it, I continued to watch the race, but then heard my husband respond, "Oh. Hey." I found this odd, as Josh is generally a fairly genial person, so turned to look, and found the teen holding a fist mid-air ready to be pumped, and saw Josh, one burger in each hand, just staring at her. She finally walked away and Josh resumed his burger perfection.

The girl walked off, met up with teenage friend, and then said something shocking.

"See! I told you he was cute."

I nearly died!!!! Josh was, of course, oblivious, so I enlightened him and we both had a good laugh. I told him we were going to have to buy him a blingier ring so girls would know he was taken.

Two weekends ago we drove to Hermiston, OR for Josh's ordination interview. After an hour with a panel of six, Josh passed with hugs and a few tears, and eagerly awaits his ordination service in July. I could not be more proud of this man I get to call mine.

Josh's life has been one thing after another, and life for me has been entertaining as well.

Union rights are in question with new Idaho legislation, and about four weeks ago, our Union leader called a spur of the moment meeting, telling members there was going to be a walk-out and he needed a 'yes' or 'no' count by the end of the day. In a frenzy, I called the most knowledgeable people I could think of, including my mom and mother-in-law, my nana, and a beloved professor from college.

The wisdom and counsel was unanimous- don't walk out.

My first year of teaching has inducted me to the very raw reality of education reform, and the brazen attitudes of some union members and leaders. As a Christian, I didn't feel I could be a part of such an action, especially when I view education as a ministry, not a statement. From our school, only two union members said 'no' to the walk-out, myself being one of them. As a first-year teacher, I determined I had a lot to lose, and the four women I talked with confirmed that.

The walk-out was canceled, but now I know how to respond should this happen again. And as my professor pointed out, I can use that as an opportunity to share a bit of Light with my students when they ask the question, "Why didn't you walk out?"

Friday, the last day before break, I had another raw reality: parents make personal assaults on teachers.

One very angry mother unleashed her fury on me, telling me I wanted her child to fail and that I was a horrible teacher. We're talking screaming through the phone. And then she hung up on me.

I called her to touch base- I've been in touch all semester- and it still wasn't enough. She began an altercation. And I was crushed.

After an hour with my principal- documenting, counseling, reaffirming, and praising- I was sent home. We may not always agree with our bosses, and our bosses may not always agree with us, but I am so thankful for a boss who takes care of me, backs me up, and notices the blood, sweat, and tears I pour into my job. And I am thankful for a boss who occasionally sends me home.

I came home and, with my in-laws en route to South Dakota and my husband, cried a bit more, went to lunch, came home, and crashed.

If teaching were just about teaching, anyone could do it. But teaching is also about humility. And relationships. And love. And passion. And humanness.

And I botch it up horribly sometimes. The last thing on my mind was loving this mother...or her child.

This week is a much needed reprieve.

Twelve more weeks of Master's work. Nine more weeks of this first year of teaching. A few days before baby Lesslie makes his debut in Missouri. Then ten more weeks before I can set aside my 'teacher' hat and don my 'Aunt Ashley' hat. Four weeks after that, Uncle Josh will get to razz up a very cute nephew named Martin.

Life is so good. Even when teenagers think you're cute, unions have melt downs, and parents think you are the embodiment of wicked.

I'm convinced- spring break makes it all better.

No comments:

Post a Comment