Monday, July 12, 2010

New Words

Note: This post is by Josh.

I just finished reading "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells. It is a science fiction classic, and I was obtained a free copy of it, so I read it.

No matter what your opinion of science fiction in general, or of Mr. Wells, one fact is certain.

He knew more words than me.

I started keeping track.

Before you turn on your thinking caps, don't. This is not a deep or serious post. I only wish to give you a list of words from this book that I did not know and had to look up. Are you ready? (Keep in mind that this is not a complete list.)

"cupola"
"ameliorate"
"etoilated"
"cicerone"
"halitus"
"rill"
"deliquesced"
"desiccated"
"hermetically"
"steatite"
"tumulus"
"fecundity"

At the mention of some of these, you may incredulously exclaim "I can't believe you didn't know that word." To others, you must admit vocabularial defeat. And now, you fall victim to your curiosity to look up the words for yourself. I will take pleasure in this fact... bwa ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment