Monday, June 21, 2010

Bless You

For the last several weeks, Josh and I have been walking around our little house sniffling, sneezing, and hoarse. Yep, it's allergy season in our valley, and we're suffering.

I've accepted the reality that I am allergic to nearly everything that blooms. From a young age, I decided allergy medicine was not only my friend, it was my very trusted ally. But Josh, on the other hand, has fought the conquering hero, claiming "I don't have allergies."

Oh, but he does. And the small white pill has become his ally, too.

For nearly four weeks, I have woken up almost every night, sneezing, leaking, scratching, and crying from allergies. My face swells, and every orifice in my face itches.

It is miserable.

And who knew the same thing could happen to puppies?

Josh and I have been so focused on our own plight with pollen season we have completely overlooked Ivan the miniature schnauzer.

As I type, Josh is outside mowing our grass while I am reading page after page on how to be "an effective teacher," seeking refuge from the flying spores. While Ivan usually leaps at every opportunity to be outside, he is inside with me, snuggled up against my feet, sneezing, scratching his ears with his hind legs, and his nose and face with his front paws. He's making small groaning noises, and stops every so often to simply stare at me, as if crying out, "Can't you do anything for me?!"

This summer, Ivan has gone from having one solid blister of a foot to having the itchy, watery eyes, runny nose, and scratchy ears Josh and I are suffering from. I'm telling you, this dog lives for summer, and he's barely made it outside during his first encounter with the season.

This place may be Idaho's Wilderness Gateway, and it may be beautiful, but it comes at a cost. Even for miniature schnauzers.

No comments:

Post a Comment