Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Some Needed Laughter

Today was a rough day. It started very early, included an all-staff meeting, and had me in tears before lunch. My wonderful husband text me to ask if there was anything he could do. My reply?

"Lunch?"

After a few very bold reminders from this man I get to call mine, some more tears, and a very organic lunch, the bell rang, Josh's cue to head out.

As students began to filter into my room, I hurriedly tried to finish a note for one of our congregants Josh was on his way to visit. After a flurry of hand motions and about four nanoseconds, it donned on me that liquid was trailing down my desk.

It was one of those moments where you're watching from what feels like outer space. Nothing could be done to stop the moment until Josh's voice broke into my head.

He said very somberly: "I'll just go."

I'm still not quite sure how it happened, but somehow Josh knocked over the almost-full can of 7Up sitting on my desk. Rather than simply spilling on the floor, it was unfortunate that, in fact, the bottom drawer of my desk was open, the drawer I just grabbed the card from. The drawer that just happened to be full of student finals, IEPs, and 504s. And they were sopping with clear stickiness meant to soothe the war going on in my lower intestines from the day's events.

I left the mess, finished writing my note, told Josh a good-bye, and turned to see 10 sets of eyes watching me.

I didn't say a word. They didn't say a word. We simply stared at each other.

Finally someone piped up, "He looked like he just got in trouble!" To which I said, "Probably because he thought he just got in trouble."

Then I burst out laughing, and my students burst out laughing, because my desk drawer began to urinate 7Up. And it was loud.

Suddenly, my day had no more room for tears or intestinal relapses. Just the "Iliad" and 10 seniors who have slipped into my heart, and who I am very honored to teach English.

I'll just have to save those tears for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment