Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It Happens to the Best of Us

I have a love for words. But sometimes I use them...poorly.

After church wrapped up tonight, I was chatting with two of our ladies, laughing and swapping stories of Christmas celebrations, and I'm telling you, I think my brain broke.

While laughing over how kids miraculously heal because they "think" a medicine is going to work, I brazenly stated, "The mind is a natural libido."

The word didn't quite feel right as it left my tongue, but the two ladies laughed, so I thought maybe I was just out of practice with the noun. And then I spotted Josh's quizzical look from across the room.

While 95% of our congregants are very hard of hearing, Josh is not. And he caught me in a word blunder.

And then I realized what I had said.

Remorse immediately followed. So did a lot of laughter.

I apologized profusely to the two ladies- one was hard of hearing and missed the mishap, and thankfully the other said the word "sounded right" so she missed the mix-up as well.

The brain is like a natural placebo, but a libido it is not.

I would highly suggest never confusing these two words.

And as my dear friend JJ would say, "That is all I have to say about that."

1 comment: