Friday, April 27, 2012

Dead Language

One day this week, I was grading at my desk as students filtered in after lunch for Senior English. I was very focused on what I was doing, so I only semi-heard the following statement: "Mrs. Blain, did you know Greek is a dead language?" I paused, thinking, "Hmm...something in that statement did not sound quite right." I looked up, now very curious about the factoid, and saw one of my senior boys, beaming as if he had just shared the most shocking news I would ever hear in my entire life. "Pardon me?" "Greek. Did you know it's a dead language?" Ah, the smirk on his proud face. I can still see it in my mind. He was so excited to know something shocking, edgy, and awe inspiring. I blinked a few times, and very dryly replied, "Then what do they speak in Greece?" ******Pause****** Me again. "Do you mean Latin?" ******Pause****** A very meek, "Oh. Yes." escaped from my students lips. I was trying so hard not to burst into laughter, then another student piped up, "You thought Greek was a dead language!?" His laughter is what truly got me going. I couldn't help it, and I felt terrible. Giggles erupted before I could stop them, but thankfully, my fact captain joined in the laughter at his own blunder. So, let me ask you, "Did you know Greek is a dead language?!"

2 comments:

  1. I wouldnt consider latin a completly dead language since many languages come from it. p.s Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did know that. But I took Latin in college from a dude who looked like Fabio and got dressed up on the weekends to go jousting, speaking Latin as he went. I'm not sure how accurate it was, since Latin is technically dead... but there you have it.

    Now. The Greeks... their language has changed quite a bit. But then they offer tzaziki as compensation and I'm pretty sure that's ambrosia. :)

    ReplyDelete