Thursday, February 23, 2012

Gone Home

In October of 2010, I hopped a last minute flight to visit my grandma and grandpa after Grandma had been diagnosed with cancer. The doctors thought then that she would pass away within just a few months, but she didn't. She fought. Hard.

Almost eighteen months later, my grandma may have lost her fight against cancer, but she really won her fight for Life.

I was able to fly home this last weekend, and soak up a few more memories, kisses, and conversations with the grandma who baked my wedding cake, the grandma who told me as a kid to cry all my tears into buckets so I could save them, the grandma who led a beautiful example of what marriage could look like and lived that marriage for almost 53 years.

Josh's grandpa Elmore just passed away a week ago today. His service was Monday, and it was a beautiful celebration of Elmore's life. Elmore lived a life devoted to God, and has left behind a legacy of children and grandchildren who want to pursue the same Christ he did.

Josh and I are so blessed to have grandparents who have impacted the kingdom, and who have modeled Christ-likeness. Were they perfect? Absolutely not. But were they sold out believers? Absolutely yes.

I can only imagine what Grandma opened her eyes to this morning as she left this earthly home to find embrace in the Father's arms. And I can only imagine the reunion that is taking place in the lofty realms right now.

And I can't help but smile. I'm heart broken at my own loss of a grandma, but overjoyed at the freedom of pain and weariness that Grandma has found.

Today is a good day.

And Grandma wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment